Structure Property Correlation in Ultrafine Grained Copper Processed by Equal Channel Angular Processing
Ultra fine grained copper is produced by equal channel angular processing (ECAP) routes.Multiple passing through the ECAP die reveals high grain refinement in first few passes.Transmission electron microscopies in to the samples reveal a grain refinement of 150 μm to 500 nm sized grains after 4 passes. Mechanical properties measuerement shows that the severe plastic deformation has improved the structural strength to 410 MPa. Structure property study confirms the Hall petch strengthening mechanism operational during the deformation process. The effect of initial microstructral inhomogeniety is investigated and it is found to have marginal influence in the grain refinement of the multiple pass ECAP. Process modeling study using finite element models reveal the developed shear strain and stress fields during the deformtion process.
2. Valiev R. Z., Islamgaliev R. K. and Alexandrov I. V. Progress in Materials Science 45(2000),p.103.
3. Terence G. Langdon. Materials Science and Engineering A , 462 (2007),p. 3–11.
4. Xu C, Furukawa M, Horita Z, Langdon TG. In: Horita Z, editor.Nanomaterials by severe plastic deformation, Fukuoka, Japan; 2005.p. 19.
5. Mishra a, B.K. Kad b, F. Gregori c, M.A. Meyers Acta Materialia 55 (2007) 13–28.
6. Feltham P, Meakin JD. Philos Mag 1957;2:105.
7. Armstrong RW. In: Bunshah RF, editor. Advances in materials research. New York: Interscience; 1971. p. 101.
8. Haouaoui M, Karaman I, Maier HJ, Hartwig KT Metall Mater Trans A 2004;35:2935.
9. Gourdin WH, Lassila DH. Acta Metall Mater 1991;39:2337.
10. Meyers MA, Andrade U, Chokshi AH. Metall Mater Trans A1995;26:2881.
11. Merz MD, Dahlgren SD.. J Appl Phys 1975;46:3235.
12. Wang S, Murr LE. Metall 1980;13:203.
13. N. Lugo • N. Llorca • J. J. Sun˜ ol • J. M. Cabrera, J Mater Sci (2010) 45:2264–2273.
14. Balasundar I., Sudhakara Rao M., Raghu T. Materials & Design, 30 (2009),P. 1050-1059.
Copyright (c) 2011 Eurasian Chemico-Technological Journal
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
You are free to: Share — copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format. Adapt — remix, transform, and build upon the material for any purpose, even commercially.