Rapid Screening Method for the Total Petroleum Hydrocarbons in Water Samples by Solid-Phase Microextraction and GC-MS
Determination of total petroleum hydrocarbons (TPH) in water is an important tool for monitoring of contamination due to oil spills or leaking storage tanks. In this study, a screening method for the quantification of total petroleum hydrocarbons in water based on solid phase microextraction (SPME) in combination with gas chromatography - mass spectrometry (GC-MS) is presented. Extraction of hydrocarbons from water samples were conducted by SPME fiber coating placed into the headspace above water. Petroleum hydrocarbons were desorbed from the fiber coating in the injection port of gas chromatograph. The effect of the following parameters affecting the distribution of the analytes between three phases on the response of TPH were studied: SPME fiber coating type and dimensions, extraction temperature, extraction time and pH. The optimized method uses 100 Ојm polydimethylsiloxane fiber coating, extraction time 600 s, extraction temperature 80 °C, without addition of salt at basic pH. The developed method was successfully applied for detection of total petroleum hydrocarbons in water taken from Koschagyl oil fields and Koschagyl village.
2. K.M. Aitekenov, A.B. Alekperov and etc. “The main features of the present ecological state of the geological environment of oil and gas basins of Kazakhstan and adjacent areas”,Oil and gas in Kazakhstan, pp.182-183, (2001) (In Russian).
3. M.J. Jager, D.P. McClintic, D.C. Tilotta, “Measurement of Petroleum Fuel Contamination in Water by SPME with Direct Raman Spectroscopic Detection”, Applied Spectroscopy, V. 54, Is.11, pp. 1617-1623,
4. Z. Wang, K. Li , M. Fingas, L. Sigouin, L. Me´nard, “Characterization and source identification of hydrocarbons in water samples using multiple analytical techniques”, Journal of Chromatography A, V. 971, pp.173–184, (2002).
5. A. Akinlua, R.M. Smith, “High Temperature Steam Extraction for the Determination of Aliphatic Hydrocarbons in Petroleum Source Rock”, Journal of Chromatography, V.1057, pp.156–162, (2009).
6. T.F. Parkerton, M.A. Stone, D.J. Letinski “Assessing the aquatic toxicity of complex hydrocarbon ixtures using SPME”, Toxicology Letters, V.112-113 pp. 273-282, (2000).
7. M.A. Abrams, N.F. Dahdah, E. Francu “Development of methods to collect and analyze gasoline range (C5–C12) hydrocarbons from seabed sediments as indicators of subsurface hydrocarbon generation and entrapment” Applied Geochemistry, V.24, pp. 1951–1970 (2009).
8. GOST 52406-2005. Water. Determination of petroleum products by gas chromatography. Moscow, 2005. (In Russian)
Copyright (c) 2012 Eurasian Chemico-Technological Journal
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
You are free to: Share — copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format. Adapt — remix, transform, and build upon the material for any purpose, even commercially.