Thermoluminescence Study of Base Materials of Ceramic Tiles
Many flooring materials most of them are in natural form are used to manufacture floor tiles for household
flooring purpose. The peoples demand for variety of flooring material Leeds to develop various types of
ceramic tiles. In India ceramic industry is fast growing one, more then 400 units of manufacturing ceramic
tiles, vitrified tiles and sanitary ware, situated around Morbi, Rajkot, Gujarat, India. Many natural minerals
are used as the raw materials required for the manufacturing ceramic ware. The following minerals are
used to manufacturing the ceramic tiles i.e. Quartz, Feldspar, Zircon, Talc, Grog, Alumina oxide, etc. Most
of the minerals are from Indian mines of Gujarat and Rajasthan states, some of are imported from Russian
sub continent. The present paper reports the thermoluminescence (TL) characteristics of Feldspar, Alumina
and Quartz minerals collected from the ceramic tiles manufacturing unit, Morbi. The as received minerals
Natural TL was recorded (NTL), and annealed and quenched from 400 °C and 800 °C followed by 15Gy beta
dose given from Sr-90 beta source TL was recorded and the comparative TL (Thermoluminescence) study of
above materials are presented. The characterization of the minerals is done using TGA and XRD studies.
2. S.Kumar, Source Book of Ceramic, 1998.
3. K.V.R. Murthy and J.N. Reddy Thermoluminescence basic theory application and experiment, Feb.2008, Pub. Nucleonix, Hyderabad.
4. K.V.R. Murthy, Y.S. Patel, A.S. Sai Prasad, V Natarajan, A G Page, 2003 Radiation Measurements 36 483.
5. S.W.S. Mckeever, 1985 Thermoluminescence of Solids, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 205.
6. M J Aitken, 1974 Physics and Archaeology Oxford, U.K.: Oxford Univ. Press.
7. S.W.S. McKeever, M.S. Akselrod and B.G. Markey, 1996 Radiation .Prot. Dosim. 65 267.
8. Compact Fluorescent Lamp Phosphors in Accidental Radiation Monitoring, K.V.R. Murthy, S.P. Pallavi, Rahul Ghildiyal, Manish C Parmar, Y.S. Patel, V. Ravi Kumar, A.S. Sai Prasad, V. Natarajan and A.G. Page, Radiation Protection Dosimetry (2006), Vol. 120, No. 1-4, 238-241.
9. Hitesh M. et al, Journal of Science Government of Gujarat, Volume-1,Issue-1/2010,Page no. 72 to 74.
10. Hitesh M. et al, Spark e journal Volume 2, Issue3, Feb.2010, Page no.287to 292.ISSN 0975-7929.
11. Hitesh M et al Material science an Indian Journal, Volume-6,Issue-3,.2010,Page no.167 to 169.ISSN 0975-7486.
12. Hitesh M et al Journal of science and Tech. Research, Volume-1,Issue-2,July-Dec 2010ISSN 0974-9780 Page no.33 to 36.
Copyright (c) 2011 Eurasian Chemico-Technological Journal
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
You are free to: Share — copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format. Adapt — remix, transform, and build upon the material for any purpose, even commercially.