Mesoporous Composite Materials from Acivated Rice Husk Carbon and Montmorillonite
Three different carbons were prepared from rice husk by steam activation at 700 ºC, H3PO4-activation followed by desilication or desilication followed by H3PO4-activation at 500 ºC. Honeycomb monoliths were obtained by mixing of a carbon with montmorillonite followed by extrusion, curing, calcination and leaching by alkaline solution. Obtained blocks were compared in terms of their morphology and elemental composition using data of SEM/EDX-analysis. From low temperature nitrogen adsorption study results it follows that prepared monoliths are characterized by SBET up to 700 m2/g (Vz = 0.79 cm3/g) and pore size distribution shows the maximum around 4 nm. Methylene blue number is as high as 250 mg/g.
2. Mansurov Z.A., Zhylybaeva N.K., Ualieva P.S. and Mansurova R.M. Obtaining procedure and properties of the sorbents from plant raw material // Chemistry for Sustainable Development. -2002. –Vol. 10. - P. 321-328.
3. Guo Y., Yang S., Yu K., Zhao J., Wang Z., Xu H. Carbon materials for advanced //Materials Chemistry and Physics.- 2002.- № 74.- P. 320.
4. Guo Y., Yu K., Wang Z., Xu H. Effects of activation conditions on preparation of porous carbon from rice husk // Carbon.- 2003.- № 41.- P.1645.
5. Daifullah A.A.M., Girgis B.S., Gad H.M.H. Colloids and Surfaces A// Physico-chemical and Engineering Aspects.- 2004.- № 235.- P.1.
6. Mohamed M.M. Acid dye removal: comparison of surfactant-modified mesoporous FSM-16 with activated carbon derived from rice husk // Journal of Colloid and Interface Science.- 2004.- № 272.-P. 28.
7. Rahman I.A., Saad B., Shaidan B., Sya Rizal E.S. Adsorption Characteristics Of Malachite Green On Activated Carbon Derived From Rice Husks Produced By Chemical-Thermal Process // Bioresource Technology.- 2005.- № 96.- P.1578.
8. Kennedy L.J., Vijaya J.J., Sekaran G. Effect of two stage process on the preparation and characterization of porous carbon composite from rice husk by phosphoric acid activation //Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research.- 2004.- № 43.- P.1832.
9. Khalil L.B. //Adsorption Science & Technology.- 1996.- № 14.- P.317.
10. Ismagilov, Zinfer R., Shikina, Nadezhda V., Andrievskaya, Irina P., Rudina, Nina A., Mansurov, Zulkhair A., Burkitbaev, Mukash M.,. Preparation of carbonized rice husk monoliths and modification of the porous structure by SiO2 leaching. Catalysis Today, (2009), V.147, № 3-4, pp.58-65.
11. Jandosov J.M., Shikina N.V., Bijsenbayev M.A., Shamalov M.E., Ismagilov Z.R., Mansurov Z.A. Evaluation of Synthetic Conditions for H3PO4 Chemically Activated Rice Husk and Preparation of Honeycomb Monoliths // Eurasian Chemico-technological Journal. – 2009. - №3. - pp. 245-253.
Copyright (c) 2011 Eurasian Chemico-Technological Journal
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.